Architect/ Interior Design
Integrated Design Solutions, LLC
1441 W. Long Lake, Suite 200
Troy, Michigan 48098
Ann K. Green, IIDA
Valerie L. Grant, IIDA
Hamilton Anderson Associates
Rainy Hamilton, Principal
1435 Randolph St., Suite 200
Detroit, Michigan 48226
Barton Malow Company
Todd Ketola Vice President
26500 American Drive
Southfield, Michigan 48034
895 W. Oakridge Street
Ferndale, Michigan 48220
- Site location – bridging a multi-story addition over an existing structure where highly used large lecture halls on campus must remain operational.
- Co-locate several departments and programs within the College of Arts & Letters to provide a home for innovation in language teaching advancement.
- Create a visible beacon highlighting the University’s global-international focus and continued commitment to the values of the land-grant tradition.
- Create and furnish a variety of collaborative spaces that enhances students learning experience and promotes faculty and student interactions.
- Install technology that caters to the Millennial Generation’s style of learning.
- To position the College of Arts & Letters for continued and new endeavors in areas of research, teaching and learning, and community engagement.
- The Wells Hall Addition is part of the overall Morrill Hall Replacement Project. The site selection and design of the addition provides program integration resulting in a language hub, visual and physical connection to the People’s Park, all while creating a blending of the existing and new buildings.
- The first floor addition creates a bridge between Red Cedar Road and that of the People’s Park and surrounding area. New REAL classrooms, specialty language labs and a Starbucks all draw students into the building and are welcomed with the signature green ceiling element that identifies the core circulation throughout the building.
- The upper floors bridge the existing first floor B wing and are designed to be a flexible office environment to adapt to the ever changing language departments. The open office spaces facilitate cross-disciplinary work in a collaborative and communicative environment. Small conference rooms as well as multiple break out spaces are sprinkled throughout each floor to provide areas of solitude or for private conversations.
- A two-story presentation space and the three-story atrium or communicating space with it’s large hanging sculpture intrigues passersby and facilitates interactive learning and an open exchange of ideas between faculty and students.
- The center circulation core of the building is identified by the “beacon” or communicating stair flanked with bamboo wall panels and the green ceiling element which highlights both the vertical and horizontal connections and movement though the building.
- Solar-controlled sun shades along the east façade provide climate control, energy and environmental benefits as well as enforce that connection to the People’s Park.